Another month has passed. Can you believe there are only five more months of the year? I can’t believe it! I’ve got to get some momentum on a few of my goals.
1. Run a Half Marathon – July was great for this goal. I had a great time on the Peachtree Road Race (1 hour 17 minutes, REALLY good for me) and I’ve been very consistent with my running. I’m slowly progressing in my distance and am feeling pretty good about accomplishing this goal in November.
2. Innovation as a professional every month – July was another month where there wasn’t a ton of professional development going on. But, I did sign on to create my first webinar, which will be coming in August. I also did some great networking.
3. Read 24 books: I got one and a half books finished this month. I read ‘The Organic God’ by Margaret Fienberg (pretty good) and started ‘When Helping Hurts’ by Corbert and Fikkert. When Helping Hurts is really good so far, it’s just a slower read. I’m still on track to accomplish this goal, I’m at 14 complete as of the end of July.
4. Get Biscuit certified as a therapy dog We had some fun developments with this goal in July! A very generous friend offered to pay for Biscuit’s training classes! He’s four weeks into his first course and is doing really well! I’m very proud of him 🙂
5. Encourage two people a month with a handwritten note I got my notes written this month. Like last month, some were more ‘thank you’ focused, but I made sure to use that opportunity to encourage.
6. Write 60 blog posts Four posts were written in July, plus one guest post for the Church4Chicks blog. I will be contributing to the Church4Chicks blog more consistently from here on out which I’m excited about! The running total is 36 so far this year, which is a respectable amount, on track to reach the goal.
7. Get to know people who different from me I still am really trying to figure out what this goal looks like. I think that when I set this goal I was thinking of intentional ministry, cross culturally, but it’s not really looking like that. It’s evolving to intentional neighboring. But, I do feel like I need to get more involved in serving others, as I mostly do advocacy, so I have a ministry in mind that I’ll be contacting in August.
8. Enter into a mentoring relationship July was quiet for this goal, but I think it’s been accomplished really. I have some ongoing relationships with amazing women and God is doing cool stuff.
9. Pay the car off – You guys, unless there’s a miracle, this goal will probably not happen. At this point I’m just trying to balance the budget, buy groceries, and get minimum bills paid. We had a few unexpected medical expenses that came up this summer so they’ll need to be paid off too. Anything is possible with God, and I’m still going to keep this on the goals list, but I just don’t know how it will work.
10. Increase my political activity- first name basis with elected officials – This goal has been accomplished, but I’ll pick back up at the end of the year to continue to cultivate those relationships for next session.
11. Publish a professional article (or at least write one)– Hmmm, no comment? This goal has hit a lull, again, but I really do want to pick it back up. We shall see.
12. Memorize the book of Philippians – Sigh, I committed on this blog to study Philippians a few minutes every day in July. I didn’t do it at ALL. I read scripture, but didn’t devote to studying and memorizing. I really do want to get this done, I just need to commit and stick with it!
13. Love my husband in a new way every month – Brent worked really hard in July, so I surprised him one Saturday by cleaning the entire apartment while he was gone. We normally split the chores 50/50 but I went ahead and did them all. I think he really appreciated it, and I enjoyed doing that for him.
So there you have it. Making progress on some, hitting lulls on others. I’m feeling pretty good overall, I just need to stay focused. I’m going to try visual cues this month, making sure elements of the goals are on my daily ‘to do’ lists and keeping better track of what I need to be doing. Becoming a morning person might help too…. but I might need a whole year just to accomplish that task, haha!
What about you? How are your resolutions/goals going? I’d love to hear ways you stay on track.