Wow, I can’t believe it’s Fall already. This year really has flown by. Here’s my monthly report on this year’s goals.
1. Run a Half Marathon – September was pretty good for this month, with one small issue- my foot has been hurting! It’s mostly my arch, and it’s especially after long runs. The longest distance I’ve run so far has been 6 miles, halfway to the goal. I think I could go longer but I want to be really confident on race day. But after long runs my foot sometimes hurts for days, putting me behind on training. Any runners have tips? Should I push this goal back another couple months? Help!
2. Innovation as a professional every month – September’s innovation as a professional was doing completely paperless, computer based assessments and exams. I’m very close to having completely paperless courses, which is exciting and innovative. And, I started a new job at the end of September, so even more ways to be innovative!
3. Read 24 books: I got one book completely read this month: ‘Wrecked’ by Jeff Goins. Really good book, especially for twenty-somethings. I’d recommend it for sure. I am halfway finished with ‘The Good News about Injustice’ by Gary Haugen, so I’m still on track to read 24 books this year.
4. Get Biscuit certified as a therapy dog Biscuit is done with classes, scheduled for a private session in October, and should take his test in November! We’re on track for this goal, he’s improving in his commands and has been working hard.
5. Encourage two people a month with a handwritten note Didn’t get this one done yet again. I think that if given the opportunity to re-do this goal, I would have done a total for the year and not a ‘per month’ quota. I think I would have been able to be more focused with a goal of writing 24. I’m going to reframe it a bit and try to focus on just writing more notes for the rest of the year.
6. Write 60 blog posts Six posts on this blog, and two on the Church 4 Chicks blog. That brings the total to 49, which is right on track for the year goal. Exciting that I’m close to accomplishing this goal. Also, September was the best month ever for visits to my blog, so thank you all for reading!
7. Get to know people who different from me This goal has evolved from ‘getting to know people who are different from me’ to ‘being a good neighbor to everyone I meet’. I wrote this goal with this idea of intentionality, and I’ve been able to be intentional with people around me. And, I’ve learned that we all can find things we have in common, and we all can find things that we differ in. That’s the beauty of true community. So, this goal really has been accomplished, just not in the way I thought.
8. Enter into a mentoring relationship This goal has been accomplished for the most part but I have a couple other women I want to reach out to before the end of this year. I also heard that my church is staring a mentoring program which is exciting. I hope to get involved with it next year.
9. Pay the car off – So God changed my plans on this one. I’m resting in the fact that He had a different plan in mind for us financially this year- we learned to trust him. It’s not possible for us to pay the car off this year unless some random financial miracle happens. However, God has shown me so much about finances and provision this year, so I can’t complain. We’re continuing to chip away at all our debt and are on track to get to that coveted debt free place eventually.
10. Increase my political activity- first name basis with elected officials – This goal has been accomplished, but I’ll pick back up at the end of the year to continue to cultivate those relationships for next session.
11. Publish a professional article (or at least write one)– So I may just have to put this one in the books as a no go. I just don’t think it’s going to happen. We made headway then work and life got in the way. I did make progress in my writing as I’m regularly contributing to a new blog, so that’s some progress, just not what I thought when I started writing this goal.
12. Memorize the book of Philippians – Same as August- I’ve studied but haven’t memorized. Not sure if this is going to happen either, but the year isn’t over yet!
13. Love my husband in a new way every month – I surprised Brent with a special treat from one of the stores close to his hometown this month. I love giving surprise gifts so it was fun to do that for him.
In September I talked about using reinforcement, and I will admit that I didn’t do that. And now my schedule has gotten hectic so I’m really going to have to focus for the rest of the year. I thought at the beginning of the year that I’d be able to mark off all 13 as accomplished by the end of December, and I just don’t think that’s going to happen. But I’m going to finish strong. I’m going to keep trying, keep blogging, and keep reflecting on self improvement and these goals. And sometimes goal attainment is outside of my control (see my half marathon goal), and I have to focus on what I can do.
How are your goals going? Any tips for me, especially in the area of running?