I can’t believe it’s December! This is the second to last goal blog I’ll write for these 13 goals, where has the year gone? Here’s my report:
1. Run a Half Marathon – I’ve started running again and am preparing for a half marathon in February. The half isn’t happening this year but I’m still going to work towards this goal!
2. Innovation as a professional every month – November was pretty good for this goal. I still feel like my new job is full of innovation, so there were a lot of ‘firsts’ for me this month. Nothing very specific, just a lot of new, innovative tasks and duties.
3. Read 24 books: Well, November was another month of major busyness. Still at 15 books. However, don’t count me out just yet. December will be busy but I’m going on vacation and won’t have any grading to do so I just might be able to get those last few books read before the end of the year!
4. Get Biscuit certified as a therapy dog GUESS WHAT? Biscuit passed his test! He’s a
certified therapy dog with Happy Tails Pet Therapy! I’m such a proud dog-mom, it’s a bit ridiculous. We’ll join a team early next year.
5. Encourage two people a month with a handwritten note Came excuse as before, just too much busyness. But if I’m allowing myself to play catch up there is still time in December!
6. Write 60 blog posts Four posts on this blog and one original on the Church4Chicks blog. I’m at 59 original posts this year, which means that I’ll definitely meet this goal.
7. Get to know people who different from me For awhile I didn’t think I would meet this goal, but now I’m realizing that there have been many opportunities to meet and get to know people from all walks of life. It’s been a good year.
8. Enter into a mentoring relationship I feel like this goal has been accomplished. Most importantly, this year I’ve learned the value of relationships with older women. It’s incredible the wisdom that I’ve gained from these conversations. I also heard about a new mentoring opportunity next year at my church and am hoping to continue this practice into the next year.
9. Pay the car off – I mentioned last month that God changed my plans on this one. We’ve paid off a chunk of other debt and are working towards getting this goal accomplished next year.
10. Increase my political activity- first name basis with elected officials – This goal has been accomplished, but I’ll pick back up in January to keep these relationships going.
11. Publish a professional article (or at least write one)– So I may just have to put this one in the books as a no go. I just don’t think it’s going to happen. We made headway then work and life got in the way. I did make progress in my writing as I’m regularly contributing to a new blog, so that’s some progress, just not what I thought when I started writing this goal.
12. Memorize the book of Philippians – I didn’t do anything with this goal this month. I don’t think it’s going to happen. It’s been mostly a lack of discipline on my end but memorizing the chunks of scripture was more difficult than I thought.
13. Love my husband in a new way every month – This month I focused on encouragement. Brent’s semester was winding down and I spent a good bit of time proofreading papers and encouraging him as he finished his last semester in school.
I’m amazed at how this year has flown by. I can’t believe it’s December. I have one month left to finish up some of these goals but I’m pretty proud that I’ve been making headway on most of them this year. I have learned a lot about myself and about the things I truly care about. I think the word this month is workload. Sometimes you can prioritize personal goals but on occasions other commitments and life get in the way. I definitely had moments of feeling overwhelmed with work and all my commitments this month and wasn’t able to focus on my goals. I’m thinking about my workload for next year and how I can balance everything.
So how about you? The year is almost over, how have you progressed with goals and resolutions you made earlier in the year?