Another month has come and gone. I can’t believe the year is almost over! Here’s my report for the month:
1. Run a Half Marathon – Well, remember that foot pain in September? It didn’t go away, so I had to chill on the running in October. I have put off the half marathon until February and have picked back up on my training.
2. Innovation as a professional every month – October was just full of innovation! I started a new job and have been learning and trying out ways to streamline processes and how to be an effective and compassionate supervisor. It was a good month for innovation.
3. Read 24 books: All I can say about my reading and October is that it was a crazy month. 15 books total for the year, just nine to go. I actually think I’ll be able to do it, I’m about to enter a media fast so I’ll have more time in November and December (another post will come later about the fast.)
4. Get Biscuit certified as a therapy dog This is one of those goals that I have realized that I don’t have full control over. Biscuit is ready for his test, I’ve completed the paperwork for the organization, and now I’m just waiting on them to call me back to schedule the test. I’m disappointed I haven’t heard from them, but if he doesn’t take the test until January it’s out of my control. Either way he’s ready to take the test and get certified.
5. Encourage two people a month with a handwritten note See the book excuse, it just was a crazy month. I have a plan for November though!
6. Write 60 blog posts Five posts on this blog, and one original on the Church 4 Chicks blog. That brings the total to 55, which is right on track for the year goal. This goal will definitely be accomplished this year and I may even submit my blog to be added to a blogging network to add to this goal!
7. Get to know people who different from me This goal has been accomplished in a few different ways, and this month I added to it when I started my new job. My co-workers are from all over the world and I’m learning about them and their cultures. It’s really beautiful and I love it.
8. Enter into a mentoring relationship I feel like this goal has been accomplished. Most importantly, this year I’ve learned the value of relationships with older women. It’s incredible the wisdom that I’ve gained from these conversations.
9. Pay the car off – I mentioned last month that God changed my plans on this one. Still working hard to pay debt off and learning how to be disciplined.
10. Increase my political activity- first name basis with elected officials – This goal has been accomplished, but I’ll pick back up at the end of the year to continue to cultivate those relationships for next session.
11. Publish a professional article (or at least write one)– So I may just have to put this one in the books as a no go. I just don’t think it’s going to happen. We made headway then work and life got in the way. I did make progress in my writing as I’m regularly contributing to a new blog, so that’s some progress, just not what I thought when I started writing this goal.
12. Memorize the book of Philippians – I didn’t do anything with this goal this month. I don’t think it’s going to happen. I’m going to focus on studying the word this month and meditate more on the truths of scripture
13. Love my husband in a new way every month – I feel like Brent found new ways to love me more than I found new ways to love him this month. But I have been trying to do some of his share of our weekly chores as he finishes up his semester and is really busy with schoolwork and his internship.
So there you have it. I don’t feel as accomplished at this point in the year as I thought I would be. Things have come up, some as a result of things out of control and some as a result of my own lack of time and in some cases- discipline. This month’s word is distraction. Sometimes life, busyness, and other obligations get in the way of goals. And it’s easy to get distracted with all of the things competing for our attention. But the year isn’t over yet, and I am going to work on finishing strong.
Any goal/resolution updates on your end? I’d love to hear your success stories!